The Korea Times close
National
  • Politics
  • Foreign Affairs
  • Multicultural Community
  • Defense
  • Environment & Animals
  • Law & Crime
  • Society
  • Health & Science
Business
  • Tech
  • Bio
  • Companies
Finance
  • Companies
  • Economy
  • Markets
Opinion
  • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Thoughts of the Times
  • Cartoon
  • Today in History
  • Blogs
  • Tribune Service
  • Blondie & Garfield
  • Letter to President
  • Letter to the Editor
Lifestyle
  • Travel & Food
  • Trends
  • People & Events
  • Books
  • Around Town
  • Fortune Telling
Entertainment
& Arts
  • K-pop
  • Films
  • Shows & Dramas
  • Music
  • Theater & Others
Sports
World
  • SCMP
  • Asia
Video
  • Culture
  • People
  • News
Photos
  • Photo News
  • Darkroom
  • The Korea Times
  • search
  • Site Map
  • E-paper
  • Subscribe
  • Register
  • LogIn
search close
  • The Korea Times
  • search
  • Site Map
  • E-paper
  • Subscribe
  • Register
  • LogIn
search close
Business
  • Tech
  • Bio
  • Companies
Fri, July 1, 2022 | 02:36
Tech
Samsung confirms 'output adjustment' at Xi'an factory
Posted : 2021-12-29 17:21
Updated : 2021-12-30 09:09
Print Preview
Font Size Up
Font Size Down
An aerial view of Samsung Electronics' NAND flash chip-production facilities in the Chinese city of Xi'an / Courtesy of Samsung Electronics
An aerial view of Samsung Electronics' NAND flash chip-production facilities in the Chinese city of Xi'an / Courtesy of Samsung Electronics

By Kim Yoo-chul

As the Chinese city of Xi'an is further tightening its stiff lockdown measures after a spike of COVID-19 cases, the world's largest memory chip manufacturer has decided to apply plans for "output adjustment" at its $26-billion plant.

In a statement posted on its official website, Wednesday, Samsung said its decision to partially cut down the volume of its memory chip production at its factory in the Chinese city is due to the worsening COVID-19 situation. Shares of Samsung Electronics fell by 1.87 percent to end at 78,800 won on the KOSPI, Wednesday.

The decision could make Samsung's customers feel uneasy, as they may face difficulties planning their procurement activities because the deliveries of chip components aren't in sync with previously set dates. Samsung vowed to respond promptly.

"We have decided to temporarily adjust operations at our manufacturing facilities in Xi'an, China. This decision was made in accordance with our commitment to protecting the health and safety of our employees and partners, which remains our top priority," the Korean technology heavyweight said on its website.

The statement went on to say that it will also take all "necessary measures," including leveraging its global manufacturing network in a way to ensure that its core clients aren't affected.

"The continued lockdown has hit the workforce as well as logistics. The decision was necessary and also inevitable. We can't let facilities be operated by maintaining an emergency mode," said a Samsung official.

Samsung has some 3,300 regular and contract workers combined, at the plant, according to TrendForce, a market researcher.

Markets are now questioning whether Wednesday's announcement will have a significant impact on NAND flash-type memory chip supplies and pricing, because Samsung Electronics, the world's top producer of NAND flash chips, manufactures over 40 percent of its the chips at its facility in the Chinese city.

Its Xi'an factory is the company's only overseas memory chip manufacturing base, where the facilities have a monthly production capacity of 250,000 NANDs, based on wafer input. Its Xi'an fabrication plants account for some 15 percent of the total global NAND output.

"I would go for optimism over pessimism, and my assumption is based on the results of our internal checks for Samsung's supply chain, as I believe Samsung's NAND flash inventory level and lead times are looking stable, in terms of satisfying customers' demand until the second week of January 2022," a senior fund manager at a U.S.-based investment bank in Seoul, said by telephone.

Samsung has two NAND flash chip fabrication lines in Xi'an, with the company using these to manufacture advanced, high-layer count three-dimensional (3D) NANDs that are widely being used for corporate servers and solid state-drives (SSDs), according to company officials. Additionally, Xi'an is also an important place for both Samsung and its rival Micron Technology, as the latter operates memory packaging and testing operations there.

"Despite the announcement, the NAND flash chip spot market is reacting quite cautiously with little fluctuations, and that means the decision has already been factored in, with investors already digesting the news," said a trader who has been tracking the memory chip market.

TrendForce reiterates its forecast that "average (NAND) pricing in the first quarter of next year will fall by 10-15 percent." Samsung was hoping to see an easing of lockdown measures.

However, depending on the situation, it might be necessary for the company to initiate another plan in terms of amicable inventory procurement, if the situation worsens.

Residents in the city of Xi'an are being asked to stay in their homes if they don't have a negative COVID-19 test that is valid within 48 hours after sampling.




Emailyckim@koreatimes.co.kr Article ListMore articles by this reporter
 
LG
LG
  • Will Japanese PM Kishida accept Yoon's olive branch?
  • Minimum wage for next year increased 5% to 9,620 won
  • Major expressway in Seoul closed off due to heavy downpours
  • Hole-in-one golf insurance policy exploited by fraudsters
  • Heavy downpour hits central regions [PHOTOS]
  • 'Tangible outcome' in arms deal with Poland expected soon
  • Samsung chief's daughter to attend Colorado College in fall
  • Jill Biden advises first lady Kim: "Just be yourself"
  • LG, Hanwha, LS eye EV charging biz for future growth
  • [INTERVIEW] 'New order takes root in fashion e-commerce industry'
  • [INTERVIEW] Park Hae-soo talks about differentiating his character in 'Money Heist' remake [INTERVIEW] Park Hae-soo talks about differentiating his character in 'Money Heist' remake
  • 'Money Heist: Korea' ranks No. 2 on global Netflix chart 'Money Heist: Korea' ranks No. 2 on global Netflix chart
  • [INTERVIEW] Park Chan-wook says 'Decision to Leave' is sexy without sex scenes [INTERVIEW] Park Chan-wook says 'Decision to Leave' is sexy without sex scenes
  • Korean studies struggle to grow despite success of K-pop, K-dramas Korean studies struggle to grow despite success of K-pop, K-dramas
  • Frieze Seoul unveils list of galleries, programs for upcoming inaugural edition Frieze Seoul unveils list of galleries, programs for upcoming inaugural edition
DARKROOM
  • Afghanistan earthquake killed more than 1,000 [PHOTOS]

    Afghanistan earthquake killed more than 1,000 [PHOTOS]

  • Divided America reacts to overturn of Roe vs. Wade

    Divided America reacts to overturn of Roe vs. Wade

  • Namaste: Yogis to celebrate International Yoga Day

    Namaste: Yogis to celebrate International Yoga Day

  • Poor hit harder by economic crisis

    Poor hit harder by economic crisis

  • Roland Garros 2022

    Roland Garros 2022

The Korea Times
CEO & Publisher : Oh Young-jin
Digital News Email : webmaster@koreatimes.co.kr
Tel : 02-724-2114
Online newspaper registration No : 서울,아52844
Date of registration : 2020.02.05
Masthead : The Korea Times
Copyright © koreatimes.co.kr. All rights reserved.
  • About Us
  • Introduction
  • History
  • Location
  • Media Kit
  • Contact Us
  • Products & Service
  • Subscribe
  • E-paper
  • Mobile Service
  • RSS Service
  • Content Sales
  • Policy
  • Privacy Statement
  • Terms of Service
  • 고충처리인
  • Youth Protection Policy
  • Code of Ethics
  • Copyright Policy
  • Family Site
  • Hankook Ilbo
  • Dongwha Group